Questions About Game Rules & The Pirate Code

Pirates with Ben – About Pirates CSG Pirates CSG Forums Pirates CSG Questions About Game Rules & The Pirate Code

Viewing 11 posts - 271 through 281 (of 281 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    Keymaster

Can a crew with the Sac ability successfully eliminate themselves to give their ship an extra action?

Ochobrazo2298
    Participant

That’s what I do with Mercer!

😀

Woelf

Can a crew with the Sac ability successfully eliminate themselves to give their ship an extra action?

Nope!   You would lose the source of the ability the instant it’s eliminated, which would also immediately take away the extra action it tried to generate.   Because you can’t gain an extra action that way, you can’t make the elimination at all.

It’s an extension of the existing rule that prevents you from targeting other crew that cannot be permanently eliminated because something else is protecting them or because they’d return immediately.  You can’t target those for the sole purpose of “eliminating” them even knowing ahead of time you won’t get the the action.

Xuansho
    Participant

If you ram a ship and make it derelict (wether it’s caused by the ram or the shoot action granted by a captain) you can’t board it anymore right ?

I think I’ve already saw the question asked in a previous topic but I can’t seem to find it.

Woelf

If you ram a ship and make it derelict (wether it’s caused by the ram or the shoot action granted by a captain) you can’t board it anymore right ?

I think I’ve already saw the question asked in a previous topic but I can’t seem to find it.

Yes, you can still board a derelict.   The owner of the derelict won’t have any masts to add to their die roll, but otherwise it works just like normal.

You can even ram & board a ship that was already derelict beforehand.  The ram just won’t cause any damage, because that only eliminates masts.

Ben
    Keymaster

Is Calypso’s ability supposed to be mandatory?

At the beginning of each of your turns, roll a d6. On a result of 4-6, instead of giving this ship an action, choose two whirlpools from outside the game. Put one L away from this ship and one L away from a wild island. Neither can be placed so that it touches any island or ship. This ship does not have to roll for effect when she uses a whirlpool.

Woelf

Is Calypso’s ability supposed to be mandatory?

At the beginning of each of your turns, roll a d6. On a result of 4-6, instead of giving this ship an action, choose two whirlpools from outside the game. Put one L away from this ship and one L away from a wild island. Neither can be placed so that it touches any island or ship. This ship does not have to roll for effect when she uses a whirlpool.

The way it’s worded, technically yes, because it doesn’t give you a “may”, “can” or anything else that would imply that it’s optional.   Thematically, it kinda fits that way with her going crazy at that point in the movie.

However, I wouldn’t fault anyone for choosing to not make the roll every single turn.  After a few turns of placing whirlpools that effect can quickly become far more annoying than it is useful.  It also limits how often her ship can do anything, and makes it too unreliable for anything really important.

Ben
    Keymaster

Becalmed affects native canoes normally, correct?

Reveal this event at the beginning of one of your turns and place its token anywhere on the play area (except on an island or a ship). No ship within L of the token may be given a move action unless she can move when derelict. Remove Becalmed from the game at the beginning of your next turn.

Also, can titans move over or on top of forts?  The keyword just says they can move over islands.  If they can, would there be any difference if the fort was friendly or not?

Woelf

Becalmed will affect canoes normally, because they cannot move while derelict. The fact that they cannot become derelict is incidental.

Forts do not block movement of Titans, so they can pass over regardless of ownership. However, they cannot stop over an opposing fort, because that would dock it at the island, which cannot be done at an opposing fort.

Ben
    Keymaster

I guess I already know the answer, but Titans can’t repair right?

The Titan keyword allows them to be assigned crew, and explicitly allows them to explore.  However, not to repair.

From the Code:

-This list applies only when two or more abilities conflict. When an ability and a rule conflict the ability always takes precedence regardless of the terms used, unless specifically stated otherwise.

Sea creature rules say they can only be given move and shoot actions.

“A titan can be assigned crew.”  – an ability!

Woelf

I guess I already know the answer, but Titans can’t repair right?

Correct.   You can legally assign a shipwright to one, but those don’t grant the ability to take repair actions, they only change where you can give that standard action.   Sea creatures can’t be given one at all, so the SW doesn’t help.

Your only ways to repair one is with that weird set of canoes that technically don’t exist (RtSS), or with Trees (UT), which is always an amusing visual to think about thematically.

Viewing 11 posts - 271 through 281 (of 281 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.