Questions About Game Rules & The Pirate Code

Pirates with Ben – About Pirates CSG Pirates CSG Forums Pirates CSG Questions About Game Rules & The Pirate Code

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 825 total)
  • Author
    Woelf

What is the maximum number of actions a ship may be given without stacking using SAT, EA, SAC captain, Admirals action, and any other various action abilities such as “instead of giving this ship an action, you may give another ship in your fleet two actions”? If I remember correctly, Ben laid out in his revised start here YouTube video that a ship may be given at most two actions. This has been a point of contention through the years but I thought I’d get a thorough explanation!👍🏽

Without any of those additional action generators, each ship is allowed just one full/standard action, usually move, shoot, explore, or repair.   With action generators, a ship is allowed at most one extra (two total).

There’s no hard limit to how many free actions a ship can take in a single turn, but most of those require specific situations to occur or are self-limiting in some other way.

Ben
    Keymaster

Confirming for a Discord user: A crew with the Sac ability cannot use it on themselves to give their ship an extra action, correct?

Once per turn, you may eliminate one of this ship’s crew to give her an extra action.

Answered before I’m sure, but didn’t see it in the Code so I wanted to make sure I didn’t give them the wrong answer.

Woelf

Confirming for a Discord user: A crew with the Sac ability cannot use it on themselves to give their ship an extra action, correct?

Once per turn, you may eliminate one of this ship’s crew to give her an extra action.

Answered before I’m sure, but didn’t see it in the Code so I wanted to make sure I didn’t give them the wrong answer.

The instant the crew is eliminated the ability goes away and takes the extra action with it.

Ben
    Keymaster

MrHolly of the Discord server brings up a good point: if you cancel the Marine keyword, you could load an enemy Marine onto your ship to make them part of your fleet.

Though not technically a “capture”, maybe still worth a mention in a future PC update.

Ex: “In order to capture a Marine, you must use one of the following methods:”

Brian
    Participant

Simple question if you have a captain ability to shoot after a move action and another ability to move after resolving a shoot action. Do both chain.

Also I would assume you cannot shoot after entering a whirlpool since the end of movement happens before the pools effect.

I also want to get an opinion if you start towing a ship with the galley keyword can you just start immediately chugging back home. I like to assume the ship isn’t fully yours until you dock it at home island. Otherwise it makes the Galley, longship, and turtleship more detrimental than helpful.

Ben
    Keymaster

Simple question if you have a captain ability to shoot after a move action and another ability to move after resolving a shoot action. Do both chain.

No: “This ability cannot be combined with the Captain ability. This ability requires a non-free shoot action, while the Captain ability requires a non-free move action.”

Also I would assume you cannot shoot after entering a whirlpool since the end of movement happens before the pools effect.

If you’re using the whirlpool to teleport to another one, you cannot shoot coming out of the second one.

“Using a whirlpool to jump to another whirlpool ends the ship’s entire move action. It cannot shoot (via a Captain), ram, board, or use any other effects that require a move action, until it is given another move action after exiting the second whirlpool.”

I also want to get an opinion if you start towing a ship with the galley keyword can you just start immediately chugging back home.

Yes

I like to assume the ship isn’t fully yours until you dock it at home island.

“-When you tow an opposing ship, it immediately becomes a member of your fleet and may be given actions.

–You are not required to tow it back to your home island in order to gain control of the ship or its crew.

–It may be given an action on the current turn, if able.”

Quoted text from The Pirate Code

Ben
    Keymaster

How late in the boarding process can you reveal a boarding bonus crew?  (such as +1 to boarding rolls) Can you do it after both players roll their dice, or must it be earlier such as at boarding initiation or before dice are rolled?

Woelf

MrHolly of the Discord server brings up a good point: if you cancel the Marine keyword, you could load an enemy Marine onto your ship to make them part of your fleet.

Though not technically a “capture”, maybe still worth a mention in a future PC update.

Ex: “In order to capture a Marine, you must use one of the following methods:”

It is correct, but I’m hesitant to make a list of ways to capture them because there are a few other ways to do it too, but only the cancellation is unique to Marines.  Maybe just a not specifically mentioning that it’s allowed, without a full list.

How late in the boarding process can you reveal a boarding bonus crew?  (such as +1 to boarding rolls) Can you do it after both players roll their dice, or must it be earlier such as at boarding initiation or before dice are rolled?

If it adds to the roll (+1), it should be revealed before making the roll.  A reroller can wait until you actually want to make a reroll.    Abilities that trigger when you win a boarding roll (kill all crew, steal all treasure, etc.) can stay hidden until you win the boarding.

Brian
    Participant

Another probably obvious question. Do free actions stack when triggers happen. The only instance of this I have ran into is when raming and boarding and then if a captain is still alive technically only used a main action move and so can shoot after boarding actions are complete. Does the instance of the ram and board replace the free shoot or is the ramming ship still allowed to fire point blank with the captain ability?

Ben
    Keymaster

Does the instance of the ram and board replace the free shoot or is the ramming ship still allowed to fire point blank with the captain ability?

All four things can happen, in this order: Move>Shoot>Ram>Board.  That’s the order of operations when it comes to moving and ramming when the ship in question has the Captain ability.

In this case, the ramming ship can fire with the Captain ability, though thematically you can think of that happening as the ship gets very close to the other ship.  After the shooting is resolved, ramming occurs and then boarding (if initiated) after that.

Do free actions stack when triggers happen.

I believe so, though Woelf will be able to give more clarifications on if they do and if there are exceptions.

Woelf

Do free actions stack when triggers happen.

I believe so, though Woelf will be able to give more clarifications on if they do and if there are exceptions.

If multiple different things can be triggered by one thing, generally they can all be used unless something specifically prevents it.

Do you have any specific examples in mind, aside from the Captain/ramming/boarding timing that Ben covered above?

Tonytonetone92
    Participant

Are silver coins able to be transferred between ships similar to gold coins using UPS strategies or are they only able to be transferred amongst ships with silver explorers. My understanding is one only needs a silver explorer to load silver treasure from a wild island after which the silver coin would be treated as normal treasure once aboard a ship. Is this correct?

Ben
    Keymaster

Are silver coins able to be transferred between ships similar to gold coins using UPS strategies or are they only able to be transferred amongst ships with silver explorers.

Yes, they can be transferred with the Captain Jack Sparrow ability.

My understanding is one only needs a silver explorer to load silver treasure from a wild island after which the silver coin would be treated as normal treasure once aboard a ship. Is this correct?

Any ship capable of loading treasure can load silver coins, not just those with a silver explorer.

Silver coins are generally treated as normal treasure.

The +1 bonus only comes from the ship unloading the silver treasure at your home island, regardless of transfers and whether or not the ship that originally loaded the treasure had a silver explorer as well.

Xerecs

Suppose I have a set of Native Canoes in my fleet. At the start of the game, the canoes are placed at a wild island. The Canoes cannot explore on their first action, per their keyword. If I get a ship with the S-Explore ability out to that island on my first turn and mark it explored, can the Canoes be given a move action to re-dock at the island and explore it as a free action?

Separately, can a Bombardier’s flame strike cannon be given a cannon bonus?

Xerecs

The Stump & others
    Place this crew face up during setup. Reduce the cost of all other crew placed on this ship by 1.

The Code leads me to believe that this ability can only be applied at the beginning of the game, during set-up. I take it that the point reduction would not function if this crew was transferred to another ship later in a game? Also, you couldn’t start the game with this crew on a home island, then load them later for the point reduction?

Is the point reduction continuous, or is it a one-time effect that applies only to the crew on the ship at the start of the game? As in, if other crew are transferred to the ship with this ability, would those crew also have their point costs reduced?

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 825 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.