Questions About Game Rules & The Pirate Code

Pirates with Ben – About Pirates CSG Pirates CSG Forums Pirates CSG Questions About Game Rules & The Pirate Code

Viewing 30 posts - 481 through 510 (of 830 total)
  • Author
    Spence
    Participant

Can a ship with the Parley ability parley out of being damaged by abilities such as Namzu or Neptune’s Trident? What qualifies a ship as being a target of a shoot action?

Woelf

Can a ship with the Parley ability parley out of being damaged by abilities such as Namzu or Neptune’s Trident? What qualifies a ship as being a target of a shoot action?

This ship must be targeted directly with a shoot action to use Parley.

Namazu and the Trident target an area rather than any ship specifically, so Parley won’t work even if it’s the only ship within that target area.

Ochobrazo2298
    Participant

I know this question has probably already been asked but, Can you put two Tribal Chieftains on the same ship if you have the required cargo and point cost on the ship?

Woelf

I know this question has probably already been asked but, Can you put two Tribal Chieftains on the same ship if you have the required cargo and point cost on the ship?

The no-stacking rule applies, so while you can put multiples on the same ship, they all have to start the game on different ships to get all of their canoes.

Once the canoes are all placed, you only need to keep one Chieftain of each nationality “active” in your fleet, so at that point you can double them up or unload the duplicates at home without penalty.

Xerecs

If a ship wins a boarding party against a ship with Unique Treasure on board, can the winning ship decide to steal a Unique Treasure from the loosing ship? The Code is open-ended in boarding, simply saying “a Treasure”.

Woelf

If a ship wins a boarding party against a ship with Unique Treasure on board, can the winning ship decide to steal a Unique Treasure from the loosing ship? The Code is open-ended in boarding, simply saying “a Treasure”.

UTs are included with “treasure” in situations like that, so the player losing the item can certainly hand over a UT instead of a standard treasure (unless something specifically prevents the UT from transferring), but you can’t force a UT to be chosen if the player wants to give you some other treasure instead (unless the UT or some other ability does require/allow it).

Randy

A situation came up that I was unsure about. I think in the end we played it correctly, but just to reassure myself.

If a player’s last ship in play is dismasted and has an oarsman that had their ability changed to another crew (OE Davey Jones) via Eye of Insanity, would the end of game trigger since the oarsman’s ability is not currently active? When does Eye of Insanity make the original target crew’s ability active again, and also what is the timing on the game officially ending? Thanks for your patience  🙂

Woelf

A situation came up that I was unsure about. I think in the end we played it correctly, but just to reassure myself.

If a player’s last ship in play is dismasted and has an oarsman that had their ability changed to another crew (OE Davey Jones) via Eye of Insanity, would the end of game trigger since the oarsman’s ability is not currently active? When does Eye of Insanity make the original target crew’s ability active again, and also what is the timing on the game officially ending? Thanks for your patience  ?

The Eye of Insanity cannot trigger that endgame condition.

You are required to choose the ability at the beginning of your turn, but actually using it instead of the crew’s original ability is optional (the text says “can”, rather than “must”), so the crew’s original ability is still considered active/available when that endgame condition is checked.

The Eye’s effect only lasts until the end of the player’s own turn.  It does not carry over to opposing player turns, and then has to be reset at the beginning of the player’s next turn, even if they do choose the same ability again.

Side Note:  The Eye can prevent that endgame trigger as long there’s at least one eligible ability somewhere in play that would allow the ship to still move, repair, or get to a repairable location in some other way.

Randy

Sweet, Thank you!!!

Ben
    Keymaster

The Eye’s effect only lasts until the end of the player’s own turn.  It does not carry over to opposing player turns, and then has to be reset at the beginning of the player’s next turn, even if they do choose the same ability again.

On a related note, for win condition #3 on page 14, can the phrase “a player” mean the opposing player, or does every “his/her/player” reference in that sentence specifically reference the active player’s turn and no opponents?

I assume there is no way to eliminate the Wolves UT from the same ship that finds it on an island?  I think the free explore would end before you could voluntarily shoot with a musketeer (if you had Captain), and a Marine shot would be a separate action from the explore that reveals the Wolves. (especially for initial discovery of the Wolves)

Xerecs

Holy Water/DJH lists treasure stealers/swappers as direct affects that it protects against. I take it to mean that any other treasures on the same ship would be protected as well, or do the Water/Heart only protect themselves from being swapped or stolen?

Woelf

On a related note, for win condition #3 on page 14, can the phrase “a player” mean the opposing player, or does every “his/her/player” reference in that sentence specifically reference the active player’s turn and no opponents?

That applies only to the current/active player’s own turn.   If some other player gets wiped out in between, the endgame condition doesn’t trigger until their turn starts.

I assume there is no way to eliminate the Wolves UT from the same ship that finds it on an island?  I think the free explore would end before you could voluntarily shoot with a musketeer (if you had Captain), and a Marine shot would be a separate action from the explore that reveals the Wolves. (especially for initial discovery of the Wolves)

Aside from some other UT that can trigger at the same time (Kharmic Idol, Pirata Codex, Jailhouse Dog), there’s no way to eliminate Wolves during the explore action when it’s first found.  You’ll need separate/extra actions to get rid of it first.

Woelf

Holy Water/DJH lists treasure stealers/swappers as direct affects that it protects against. I take it to mean that any other treasures on the same ship would be protected as well, or do the Water/Heart only protect themselves from being swapped or stolen?

Treasure stealers and swappers have to target the ship in order to get at any treasure being carried by it, so Holy Water/DJH will block them.

Kharmic Idol, Pirata Codex, and Jailhouse Dog bypass the protection because they specifically go after Water/Heart itself, without going through the ship or its crew first.  They don’t even care if it’s on a ship at all.

Ben
    Keymaster

What happens if players cannot agree on the number of terrain pieces used?

How are mysterious islands handled if some players want to use them and others don’t?

Xerecs

The Pirate Code, Scorpion keyword, pg 37

“Defensive pieces such as the panels of a turtle ship or the outrigger of a catamaran are ignored by a blade attack, and remain in place.”

What else does a scorpion blade ignore? The Code only has this one line about the blade attack ignoring defensive abilities. Would the blade eliminate a mast from a ship such as the Constitution(RV) or Algernon; or ships that cannot be hit by L-range cannons or cannot be shot at by ships within S?

Woelf

What happens if players cannot agree on the number of terrain pieces used?

How are mysterious islands handled if some players want to use them and others don’t?

If the players can’t agree on a compromise, let fate decide.  Each player makes their choice, then they all roll dice or something to see who gets it.

Woelf

The Pirate Code, Scorpion keyword, pg 37

“Defensive pieces such as the panels of a turtle ship or the outrigger of a catamaran are ignored by a blade attack, and remain in place.”

———————-

What else does a scorpion blade ignore? The Code only has this one line about the blade attack ignoring defensive abilities. Would the blade eliminate a mast from a ship such as the Constitution(RV) or Algernon; or ships that cannot be hit by L-range cannons or cannot be shot at by ships within S?

The updated text in the Master Keyword List covers that part.   Even though it can be triggered by a shoot action, it’s not actually part of that action, and it’s not treated like a cannon, so essentially it bypasses/ignores ALL defensive abilities that would prevent shots and/or reduce damage.

Aside from keeping your distance or taking out the scorpion before it can attack, the only ability that will help is a canceler that can disable the keyword before the blade swings.

Xerecs

The updated text in the Master Keyword List covers that part.   Even though it can be triggered by a shoot action, it’s not actually part of that action, and it’s not treated like a cannon, so essentially it bypasses/ignores ALL defensive abilities that would prevent shots and/or reduce damage.

I need to start reading that more. 😀  Thanks for the clarification, but as a follow-up…..

Aside from keeping your distance or taking out the scorpion before it can attack, the only ability that will help is a canceler that can disable the keyword before the blade swings.

Would Holy Water also prevent the blade from swinging? I’d imagine that the blade would be treated as a direct effect of an enemy ship.

Woelf

Would Holy Water also prevent the blade from swinging? I’d imagine that the blade would be treated as a direct effect of an enemy ship.

Yes, definitely, Holy Water will work too.

That kinda falls under the “canceller” umbrella, even though the way it goes about is completely different.

Ochobrazo2298
    Participant

Something I thought of while making some custom ship stats was, so if a named crew with the cargo master keyword is linked to a ship, does that mean that the cargo hold of the ship would be expanded by one? the ability text of cargo master states that a crew with this keyword take up no cargo space on the ship it is placed and the linking makes an extra cargo space.

And also with the treasure ship keyword it makes all crew take up no cargo space, and with Admiral Zheng He and The Headhunter they are linked to their respective Baochuan and Guichuan. That means they gain an extra cargo with the linking and they take up none because of treasure ship.

Is that right?

Ben
    Keymaster

Something I thought of while making some custom ship stats was, so if a named crew with the cargo master keyword is linked to a ship, does that mean that the cargo hold of the ship would be expanded by one? the ability text of cargo master states that a crew with this keyword take up no cargo space on the ship it is placed and the linking makes an extra cargo space.

Yes, the ship would get +2 cargo spaces overall as long as the CM is of the same nationality as the ship, one from the link and one from the ability.

And also with the treasure ship keyword it makes all crew take up no cargo space, and with Admiral Zheng He and The Headhunter they are linked to their respective Baochuan and Guichuan. That means they gain an extra cargo with the linking and they take up none because of treasure ship.

Is that right?

Correct!

Ben
    Keymaster

Just to clarify, when placing terrain, players can pick from the pool of what has been contributed by all players, correct?  Or do they have to place their own, or randomly as determined by d6 roll or RNG? (Random Number Generator)

If you use terrain, players should agree on the number of terrain pieces that will be used; we recommend that players place the same number of terrain pieces, in the same order that they placed islands.

Woelf

Just to clarify, when placing terrain, players can pick from the pool of what has been contributed by all players, correct?  Or do they have to place their own, or randomly as determined by d6 roll or RNG? 

Everything in the pool is fair game.  Each player can choose what they want to place, and it does not have to be something they contributed themselves.

Ben
    Keymaster

When is the determination made on whether or not Mysterious Island effects will be used?  Based on the Setup rules it seems it would be decided between placing islands and placing terrain, but before choosing home islands.

Woelf

When is the determination made on whether or not Mysterious Island effects will be used?  Based on the Setup rules it seems it would be decided between placing islands and placing terrain, but before choosing home islands.

There’s not really any specific timing on that, but it makes the most sense to decide whether or not to use them before you start.    At the minimum, you should decide before players choose the islands to include in the game, because allowing or disallowing MI effects will definitely influence which specific ones get chosen, regardless of who actually places them or where.

Ben
    Keymaster

Another clarification: for the multiplayer endgame rules regarding “half or more players” can’t give future move actions, I assume you’d round up in a game with an odd number of players?  (ex: in a 9 player game, 5 would have to be eliminated for it to end because rounding down to 4 from 4.5 would violate the “or more” intention)

Woelf

Another clarification: for the multiplayer endgame rules regarding “half or more players” can’t give future move actions, I assume you’d round up in a game with an odd number of players?  (ex: in a 9 player game, 5 would have to be eliminated for it to end because rounding down to 4 from 4.5 would violate the “or more” intention)

The “or more” covers the odd numbers.

In a 3-player game, 2 would need to be out.

In a 5-player game, you’d need 3.

With 9 players you’d need at least 5 out.

Xerecs

Does the Sea Monster movement bonus ability (Sargasso Nightmare, El Pescador, etc.) apply to the target Sea Monster for one move action or an entire turn? For example, if I have a friendly SM within L of El Pescador and I give that Monster a move action that puts it out of range of El Pescador. If I give that Monster a second action to move again, would Pescador’s +L still be applied?

Thinking about I think it might not, since the ability says begins move, not begins turn.

Ability for reference:
    If a sea monster begins its move within L of this ship, it gets +L to its base move.

Xerecs

How does the ability of Intermediario interact with Mysterious Islands? Would his ability bypass any effects of revealed MI’s? As in, I wouldn’t need to roll for effects if I use Intermediario to get treasure onto a nearby friendly ship(s)?

Woelf

Does the Sea Monster movement bonus ability (Sargasso Nightmare, El Pescador, etc.) apply to the target Sea Monster for one move action or an entire turn? For example, if I have a friendly SM within L of El Pescador and I give that Monster a move action that puts it out of range of El Pescador. If I give that Monster a second action to move again, would Pescador’s +L still be applied?

Thinking about I think it might not, since the ability says begins move, not begins turn.

Ability for reference:
    If a sea monster begins its move within L of this ship, it gets +L to its base move

It applies only to a move action that begins within L of the ability source.    If the sea monster gains a second action but is no longer within range, it does not get the bonus for the second action.

How does the ability of Intermediario interact with Mysterious Islands? Would his ability bypass any effects of revealed MI’s? As in, I wouldn’t need to roll for effects if I use Intermediario to get treasure onto a nearby friendly ship(s)?

They don’t interact at all, because Intermediario’s ability doesn’t involve docking.  It will not reveal a face down MI, and it will ignore any ability of a face up one (no roll required or allowed).

If you do dock the sea monster at a MI before using the ability, you have to completely resolve the island (reveal, roll, apply instant effects, etc.) before moving treasure to other ships.

Viewing 30 posts - 481 through 510 (of 830 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.