Introduce Yourself! Join the Crew!

Pirates with Ben – About Pirates CSG Pirates CSG Forums Pirates CSG Introduce Yourself! Join the Crew!

This topic contains 97 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  Ben 4 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 91 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Greetings!

My family first started playing the game when I was in middle school (I was 12 years old I think). My dad came home on a random Saturday afternoon with some Spanish Main packs for my sister and I, and the rest is history. There were MANY an after school “pirate hunt” trip to Walmart or Hobbytown in the following years. My dad is a collector at heart and as a result, my parents still have an entire dresser full of ships, crew cards, and even custom ceramic Islands we made that look pretty awesome. Even after the game stopped printing, my dad and I had to find another game to obsess over so we started playing Axis & Allies: War at Sea. This scratched the itch, but I’ve always have a ton of nostalgia for good old Pirates. Many years have passed but we have recently been talking about getting back into the game to introduce my wife to it, and that’s when I found this site.

Any of the Tolkien enthusiasts out there will understand my username but it you don’t, Cirdan is an elf in Tolkien’s lore who is the shipwright of the Grey Havens. He’s the oldest elf in Middle Earth at the time of the Lord of the Rings, and one of the wisest. I thought it a fitting username for a website about a seafaring game.

Whereas my dad is a 50/50 collector and player, I’d say I’m 80/20 in favor of playing. I’m not likely to spend any more money on the game at this point as we have all the ships we are likely to play with, and many many many many many more.

My favorite thing about the game has always been fleet building. That’s why I was such a sucker for other games like Heroclix, X-Wing, War at Sea… any collectible miniature game around recruiting units at a point limit. I love finding interesting crew/ship combinations, and have been thoroughly enjoying some of the posts here as well as the youtube channel.

My favorite ship is the original Harbinger. I only won once playing with the ship-stealing strategy but it was still really fun to play. Pirates have always been my favorite faction.

Anyways, not sure how much I’ll post on the forums but I look forward to getting back into the game, and seeing that the community is still active!

Happy Gaming!

-Cirdan the Shipwright

Ben
    Keymaster

I love finding interesting crew/ship combinations, and have been thoroughly enjoying some of the posts here as well as the youtube channel.

That’s great to hear!  Feel free to contribute your own combos/etc as well!

I only won once playing with the ship-stealing strategy but it was still really fun to play.

I agree!  🙂

Glad to have you aboard!

Daddy Garand
    Participant

Hello everyone! I originally got into the game when the Crimson Coast came out and all my friends were collecting cards and I wasn’t allowed to have Pokemon cards so I naturally shifted to Pirates. As I got into it I found a lot of people at school and at local game shops that loved the game. We even used to have tournaments at the local game shop and big casual meet ups at the local high school for several years. While I never won too many games I did end up winning a couple tournaments with a partner towards the end. As I got into my later high school and college years my attention shifted towards other hobbies unfortunately; and my collection vanished courtesy of my parents. Recently I was supervising my 12 yo brother at a local Yu Gi Oh tournament and started reminiscing my Pirates CSG days, low and behold I found a great community that still appreciates how awesome the game is so I am coming back and awaiting several different orders of packs and ships to reboot my collection.

My username is based on one of my all time favorite Youtubers, GarandThumb, and has become my gamertag over the past few years.

Atm I am probably going to be about 90/10 percent player as my collection is starting fresh; I am hoping to get one of my younger brothers involved in the game as he is always seeking games that we can play and spend time together. I am also hoping to reboot a few of my other fellow Gurp/D&D/Risk friend’s passions in the game as we used to have a lot of fun with it. As time progresses I could definitely see my obsession get out of control as I turn into a heavy collector (always seems to happen when I get into a hobby).

I favorite thing about Pirates CSG was the history, I am a huge history buff (hello Sabaton) and grew up obsessed with Civil War and Revolutionary War books, reenactments, costumes, ect. But as far as the game itself goes I loved playing in games with teamates and allies having to work together towards a goal in hybrid style games more along a campaign or 2 vs 2 match. As an avid fan of the American faction I always struggled with the gold part of the game seeing how Americans have awful gold runners comparatively. Thus I loved having a French based Ally to work with or playing game modes that promoted combat over gold.

My favorite ship used to be the USS Bonhomme Richard, originally it was purely based on historical reasons as John Paul Jones was one of my favorite historical figures from the Revolutionary time period. As I played more I grew to love the shear firepower one could bring to bear with the right crew whilst using her, and she ended up always being the centerpiece of my fleet.

Since I am fresh back in the game I don’t have any other alias at this time. But expect to see me on FB and hopefully on here often!

Ben
    Keymaster

Ahoy matey!! 😀

I originally got into the game when the Crimson Coast came out and all my friends were collecting cards and I wasn’t allowed to have Pokemon cards so I naturally shifted to Pirates.

That is interesting… I know Pokemon has some weird similarities to dogfighting and poaching, but it still seems more reasonable for a child than piracy and naval warfare.

As I got into it I found a lot of people at school and at local game shops that loved the game. We even used to have tournaments at the local game shop and big casual meet ups at the local high school for several years.

That is so awesome to hear about, sounds like some epic stuff.

But as far as the game itself goes I loved playing in games with teamates and allies having to work together towards a goal in hybrid style games more along a campaign or 2 vs 2 match.

That is really intriguing and something I am adding to the Game Ideas page.

We certainly have some things in common with our love of history!  It’s likely on permanent hiatus for now, but The Caribbean Game may be of some interest to you.

Mitch
    Participant

Avast there!

Following on introductions, I got into PotCS when it was first released with the original Spanish Main series. My friend had bought a pack and didn’t care for the game, threw it out, and I found it in his trash can and became immediately hooked. I’ve always enjoyed ships, the sea, and naval/military history, so the game became a natural fit.

I’ve always been a collector and player for certain games. When I started PotCS I was a 50/50 between collecting and playing. While the game was still hot and players easily found around my area I continued the 50/50 mix. As the game faded and dropped a bit from the mainstream I began to focus more on collecting. I had a sizable fleet that has only grown with time, the ultimate goal being one of every piece created.

My favorite part of the game has always come in a few facets. My first has always been the visual variety of the game, the number of unique artwork is wonderful. My second part comes in the fact that the creators were able to build a simple 3D game that was not only a joy to play, but a joy to build. My last favorite major aspect is the general ease in playing the game. With a single pack, one could learn not only the basics but also the complete rules with general ease, leaving them free to focus on personal strategy and tactics.

I can’t say I have previous aliases, simply venturing into a new area of long time love.

-CrimsonChance

Ben
    Keymaster

@crimsonchance: Welcome aboard matey!  Glad to have you aboard.

I agree that the individual ship artwork is part of what makes the game special.  Oftentimes people call the ships cool for their design and size, but the very unique artwork on each is a beautiful aspect of the game.

Daddy Garand
    Participant

That is interesting… I know Pokemon has some weird similarities to dogfighting and poaching, but it still seems more reasonable for a child than piracy and naval warfare.

Yeah it was a strange childhood at times, grew up where Pokemon and the sort were considered witchcraft, couldn’t even watch HP…

That is really intriguing and something I am adding to the Game Ideas page.

We certainly have some things in common with our love of history!  It’s likely on permanent hiatus for now, but The Caribbean Game may be of some interest to you.

If you ever want to talk about campaign and game ideas I am always down! I’ve grown up best friends with a Gurps and D&D Gamemaster so I have had my fair share of creative gaming brainstorm sessions. As for the history it is a secret passion of mine! I really wish we could get a reboot of this awesome game, would have loved to see some Civil War era steam ships and iron clads make it into the meta

• This reply was modified 4 days, 20 hours ago by  Daddy Garand.

Ben
    Keymaster

@daddygarand: Feel free to post in the Game Ideas thread!

Viewing 8 posts - 91 through 98 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.