The Random Topic Thread

Viewing 8 posts - 241 through 248 (of 248 total)
  • Author
    Woelf

Might be a bit of an odd question, and/or a tough one to answer:

What is your favorite treasure distribution? (standard 8 coins for 15 gold, or otherwise)

Ex: 7,7,1 and 5 specific UT’s, or seven 2’s and a 1, etc.

It’s been a long time (too long) since I last played the game. and far, far longer than that since I last used the official treasure distribution rules.   I don’t think the 7-value coins were even in the game yet the last time I set up treasure that way.   When it did get used, usually I’d put in at least 2 or 3 UTs, and then would divide the rest as evenly as possible, so it would end up being mostly a mix of 2s and 3s.

Instead of the normal rule, I’d take all of the coins from a couple different UT cards, add a bunch of other UTs (often chosen randomly), and then would distribute everything equally to however many islands were in play.  More treasure per island meant more return trips, and a wider variety of UTs kept things a lot more interesting.   It’s wasn’t so much a race to be the first to find the two or three highest-value coins.

Ben
    Keymaster

Sleigh holiday pic up for the monthly photo contest at BGG  😀

Ben
    Keymaster

Would love your vote in BGG’s 2023 Picture of the Year contest!

Ben
    Keymaster

Sleigh pic came in 3rd for the January photo contest 🙂

Went with a Command the Oceans pic for this month

Ben
    Keymaster

This is intriguing: https://icv2.com/articles/games/view/6618/wizkids-plans-big-tv-behind-pirates

The game will be distributed in around 30,000 non-hobby outlets nationwide, including 7-11 (where Pirates outsold Pokemon in a test, according to WizKids), Blockbuster, Meier, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, book chains, other convenience store chains, and more.

Didn’t realize the game made it into stores like 7-11 and Walgreens too

The limited/unlimited paradigm is the new order for the Pirates products.  The limited version of Pirates of the Crimson Coast sold out from WizKids within a few days of its release.  The unlimited version will ship in June to all channels.

This confirms CC could have had a UL numbering scheme for one if its print runs – makes me wonder why they started that in RV instead.  Something in CC or related to its second issue must have informed them it would be good to change the numbering system.

Or maybe just a supply chain thing – more time for things to change for RV/BC UL before manufacturing it.

Woelf

I think they actually did do an “unlimited” run for CC, they just didn’t bother to changing the numbering or packaging in any way to reflect that because at that point they hadn’t yet figured out how they wanted to do it.

Even with later sets, it seemed rather pointless to change up the numbering system when nothing else about the actual contents of the set changed.   Maybe there was some production or supply chain benefit to making the change, like it was somehow cheaper to change it just enough that it counted as a “new” set rather than reprinting more of a previous one?

Tonytonetone92
    Participant

I was looking through my collection earlier and noticed that I’ve been organizing some cards wrong? The Virtuous Wind 151 and Spanish silver explorer 154 aren’t from the SCS set but I’ve been organizing them as if they were. They have the green background just like the SCS cards but the pack identifier(?) shows an OE emblem? I’ve never noticed until now. Does anyone know why the cards were produced like this or have any info on the matter? I imagine that there are similar cards among the other factions like these? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Ben
    Keymaster

Does anyone know why the cards were produced like this or have any info on the matter?

Not sure, other than Wizkids possibly wanting to preserve a South China Seas theme to those specific cards due to how most or all of them are former Jade Rebellion ships that were captured/etc.

I imagine that there are similar cards among the other factions like these?

It’s the case for all the OE SE cards that came in the large tins, numbers 147-170.

Viewing 8 posts - 241 through 248 (of 248 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.