Introduce Yourself! Join the Crew!

Pirates with Ben – About Pirates CSG Pirates CSG Forums Pirates CSG Introduce Yourself! Join the Crew!

Viewing 11 posts - 151 through 161 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    JuliusPepperwood
    Participant

Hey!

Wow, I’ve got to say this warms my heart a little knowing this game still has such a loyal fan base. I was part of the Miniature Trading website almost a decade ago and I was sad to find out it went down with all that valuable content. I’ve still got Woelf’s Pirate Code pdf kicking around somewhere haha. Little did I know I’d stumble onto this gem of a website, Ben you really have worked a wonder here! Even some of the old forum threads seem to have been preserved or at least continued.

I first got into Pirates through a friend when I was super young, like 9 or 10 and it quickly became a small obsession. Unfortunately it was right around the time the game was discontinued so it was really hard to find people to play with and packs to buy. So my brothers and I would battle it out together, mostly OE which was the only thing we could find. Miniature Trading helped spur along my love for the game but alas life gets in the way and it slowly faded away.

Funny enough though, I started re-watching the Pirates of the Caribbean and it awoke some old memories of the game. That’s what ultimately led me here and I’m stoked to dust of those old miniatures stashed away somewhere! Now I’ve just gotta remember all the rules (looking at you Parlay…)

Jack
    Participant

I was reading Under the Black Flag when my crippling nostalgia fit happened lol. Welcome.

I remember going to my friend’s house to play a game and we spent so long trash talking and building our fleets that my mom came to pick me up before we could even start. There’s a rules section with links to the full rulesheet and keywords if you need it!

Ben
    Keymaster

Little did I know I’d stumble onto this gem of a website, Ben you really have worked a wonder here! Even some of the old forum threads seem to have been preserved or at least continued.

Huzzah!  Welcome back aboard matey!!  I want to say I also remember you participating in some of the Mercenary/submarine debates on MT with captain_nemo and mercenary30.

If you want to see a bunch of stuff from MT and go down memory lane, almost everything I saved from that site should be available here.  There is a folder with quite a few thread topics.  I definitely wanted to continue some of the most important or classic threads from MT, and at some point I will probably bring back some of the others.

That’s what ultimately led me here and I’m stoked to dust of those old miniatures stashed away somewhere!

Nice!  Feel free to post to the collection thread.

You can find the most important rules and documents on the homepage of my site at the bottom. (you can just click the site title or icon at the top left)

Bartek
    Participant

Hello from Poland,

Long time player here, I started in 2005 with Deliverance and the Pirates faction, then Barbary Corsairs, and finally with the Cursed as my go to faction. Love sea monsters.

Favourite ship from the Cursed: Divine Dragon.

Great to know there are people who still play this great game. 🙂 <span style=”text-align: center;”>And Ben’s site is great. </span>

Ben
    Keymaster

@Bartek: Welcome aboard matey!! 😀

And Ben’s site is great.

Thank you so much!!

Gigi
    Participant

Hello,

I just discovered this game about a week ago. I was fortunate enough to find two tins of ships at a garage sale and picked them up. Very glad I did!

Since then, I have then been learning all I can about the game. Thanks for creating this site and the podcasts Ben. I assumed it would be a hunt to find information on the game, but you have provided a wealth of it. Amazing job!

Ben
    Keymaster

Since then, I have then been learning all I can about the game. Thanks for creating this site and the podcasts Ben. I assumed it would be a hunt to find information on the game, but you have provided a wealth of it. Amazing job!

Welcome aboard!  And thank you!  😀

solaradmiral
    Participant

Hello All, long time pirates player, never really ventured online for it before. I’ve been playing since the original days of Spanish Main and Crimson Coast with a pretty modest English collection. Got started in it with a group of friends, but pretty much quit playing a little after Davy Jones and they lost interest. But every once in a while I get a craving to open some pirates packs and find the cheapest I can get on ebay.

My username started with another out of print game I love, Battlefleet Gothic. But it seems good enough for pirates too.

I’d say I’m 90% wanting to be a player, 10% collector of any English ships I can get cheap. I might have to check out Vasal.

Back in the days of actually playing, my first ship and forever flagship of my fleet was the HMS Leicester. And it was my only big ship until getting a HMS Galapagos and HMS Bretwalda.

Ben
    Keymaster

I’d say I’m 90% wanting to be a player, 10% collector of any English ships I can get cheap. I might have to check out Vasal.

Welcome aboard!  Sounds somewhat similar to me a while back.  My VASSAL page has a tutorial that should be helpful to start using it.

terry cabak
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself: as a military game designer et al for over 30 years, my group is now considering the implications and feasibility of bringing this game back or via working with an already establish game company to acquire the copyrights to bring it back for us, with our input on that new manifestation.

One of the things I have been considering is making ship models at least 1/3 larger so they are closer to actual wargame scales, so this would be either 1/285 or 1/200 or 10mm figure scale, and with a hexagon grid, with water graphic and grid printed on fabric. The reasons for these ideas are many, but mostly sustainability and longevity.

This would imply the game system will likely have the scenario of each player having only one ship, or in two player games each controlling no more than 2-3 ships in a typical game.

Another reason for this larger scale is roleplaying on miniature scenery and terrain of islands and miniature figures.

These are just a few of the starting ideas to get some feedback. We fully understand the charm of the smaller ships and the game system that was created for POTSM, and believe that a matrix game combining games like Cataan with POTSM is potentially feasible. But in order to work, it must be affordable.

So, affordability, sustainability, longevity.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by terry cabak. Reason: removal of html code
    Ben
    Keymaster

Welcome aboard Terry!

I would prefer to keep the game as close as possible to the original, but there might be many potential ways it could come back.  I’ve wondered if simply not bringing it back as a collectible game could help with the longevity part.

Have you seen Woelf’s Pirates of Catan?

Viewing 11 posts - 151 through 161 (of 161 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.