Custom Ships (post your custom game pieces here!)

Pirates with Ben – About Pirates CSG Pirates CSG Forums Pirates CSG Custom Ships (post your custom game pieces here!)

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 posts - 1,111 through 1,126 (of 1,126 total)
  • Author
    Xerecs

Re-work for the Vahi:

Load this treasure face-down. You may reveal it at the beginning of one of your turns and roll a d6. On a result of 6 this ship may take it’s turn twice. On a result of 1-3 this ship may not be given any actions this turn, and it’s next turn. Once revealed this treasure cannot be removed from this ship, if this treasure is removed from play, the game ends immediately.

Ben
    Keymaster

Load this treasure face-down. You may reveal it at the beginning of one of your turns and roll a d6. On a result of 6 this ship may take it’s turn twice. On a result of 1-3 this ship may not be given any actions this turn, and it’s next turn. Once revealed this treasure cannot be removed from this ship, if this treasure is removed from play, the game ends immediately.

This is so different that now it might be more of a negative UT than an OP one.  Now that it only affects the ship carrying it, it would probably be better to define it as “this ship may be given an extra/no actions”, since ship “turns” aren’t defined in the rules.

Is the game supposed to end if the ship is sunk when the UT is still face down?

Xerecs

Is the game supposed to end if the ship is sunk when the UT is still face down?

No, that effect only triggers if the UT is face-up. I’m not sure how to word it so that’s clear.

Now that it only affects the ship carrying it, it would probably be better to define it as “this ship may be given an extra/no actions”, since ship “turns” aren’t defined in the rules.

True, turns aren’t defined well in the rules, but I don’t want this to be a simple EA/SAT generator.

Woelf

Re-work for the Vahi:

Anything with an effect great enough to instantly end the game should probably be revealed immediately when found and kept that way, but even then it could become very problematic.   An opposing player will only derelict the ship instead of sinking it unless they have a definite advantage.  Meanwhile, the player with it could trigger scuttling the ship, then on their following turn use their actions to quickly unload as much treasure as possible before letting the ship actually sink.

The turns vs. actions is adding more complexity than is necessary.  You could instead say that the ship gains one additional action that ignores the action limit.  To avoid any weird timing issues, you could specify that it must apply after all other actions.

Is the rolling for actions effect meant to be every turn, or just once the first time it’s revealed?

Xerecs

Is the rolling for actions effect meant to be every turn, or just once the first time it’s revealed?

Once, the first time it’s revealed.

I get that turns v. actions makes it more complex, but I’m envisioning a ship being able to use “Once per turn” crew/abilities twice.

For example, the Vahi is on the same ship as Calico Cat (SM). The Vahi is revealed, and succeeds. Calico succeeds at her SAT roll. That ship takes its turn, uses the SAT and any other abilities. Once it has been given its final actions, the Vahi kicks in. The ship can now roll for another SAT or utilize a re-roll ability, as if it was taking another turn.

Woelf

I get that turns v. actions makes it more complex, but I’m envisioning a ship being able to use “Once per turn” crew/abilities twice.

The best solution might be to have it state that directly, something like this:

After completing all other actions, this ship may take an additional action and use any of its “once per turn” abilities a second time.   This ship’s total action limit for the turn becomes 4 (instead of 2).

Ochobrazo2298
    Participant

I’ve got some custom UTs that i’d like to share with you:

Name: Corodum

Ability: On the turn this treasure is loaded roll a d6, That is the gold value of this treasure and if you

stay away from your home island for up to 5 turns it increases the value of the treasure by 5 adding on to the d6 roll.

But if you come back to your home island before the 5 turns are up then it is equal to the the d6 roll plus however many turns you spent at sea.

But if the ship carrying Corodum is boarded and Corodum is taken by that ship, The ship that took Corodum has to roll a d6 and so on.

Name: Black Arrow

Ability: Load this treasure face down. Reveal it when this ship is given a shoot action, She gains the Keywords: Extended Range and Broadsides Attack for this turn only, Then eliminate Black Arrow from the game.

Name: Turkish Delight

Ability: When loaded, Move to the ship in your fleet with the most crew.

Roll a d6 for every crew onboard, Minus the each crew’s point cost from the d6 result. The remaining points on the d6 results are the value of Turkish Delight when unloaded at your home island.

Ben
    Keymaster

I think Corodum could be simplified in the wording.  Something like “For every turn this ship is not docked at your home island, add 1 gold to the value of this treasure to maximum of +5” to eliminate some of the redundant verbiage.  You also don’t need the word “but” at the beginning of any sentences.

I assume Turkish Delight has a minimum value of 0 and cannot be negative?  I don’t think my fleets would ever get much value out of it heh, but not bad for a swarm fleet with minimal crew.

All three look fair and playable!

Xerecs

I agree that the Corodums wording could be simplified to match the language that WK used.

When loaded, Move to the ship in your fleet with the most crew.

To avoid any possible confusion I think you should specify that the treasure moves. This is just vague enough that it could be interpreted differently. Is a crew moving? Is the ship? Is the treasure?

I would make a suggesting regarding the Turkish Delight. Consider reversing the effects, instead of subtracting, try adding. Subtracting from the d6 will get weird really quick if you roll a bunch of 1’s for generic crew. It’ll get even weirder when you roll low with crew with a high point cost around 10. You wouldn’t even need to roll low for that to get weird, if you roll a 6 but subtract 7, you’re at -1.

Adding the value to the crew makes the treasure much more valuable, and less weird for when you roll low with it.

Is Black Arrow removed regardless of the success of the shoot action or Broadsides Attack?

Woelf

Largely echoing what the others have said…

Name: Corodum

Ability: On the turn this treasure is loaded roll a d6, That is the gold value of this treasure and if you

stay away from your home island for up to 5 turns it increases the value of the treasure by 5 adding on to the d6 roll.

But if you come back to your home island before the 5 turns are up then it is equal to the the d6 roll plus however many turns you spent at sea.

But if the ship carrying Corodum is boarded and Corodum is taken by that ship, The ship that took Corodum has to roll a d6 and so on.

This could be simplified greatly, and Ben has a good idea for how to track the time away from home:

“After loading Corodum, roll a d6;  Corodum is worth gold equal to the result.   If this treasure is not unloaded at the end of your turn, add 1 to its total value, up to a maximum of +5.   If Corodum is transferred to an opposing ship, reset and reroll its value.”

Name: Black Arrow

Ability: Load this treasure face down. Reveal it when this ship is given a shoot action, She gains the Keywords: Extended Range and Broadsides Attack for this turn only, Then eliminate Black Arrow from the game.

Is the intent of this to allow the ship to use Broadsides Attack at double range?  As written it doesn’t do that, so you’d be forced to choose one ability or the other for the shoot action because BA doesn’t play nice with other abilities.

If it is meant to combine them, which range is doubled: the ship’s printed values (potentially up to L+L), or the reduced range of BA (S+S)?

Name: Turkish Delight

Ability: When loaded, Move to the ship in your fleet with the most crew.

Roll a d6 for every crew onboard, Minus the each crew’s point cost from the d6 result. The remaining points on the d6 results are the value of Turkish Delight when unloaded at your home island.

You should say “place this treasure on the ship in your flee with the most crew”, because as written, “move to…” could be interpreted to mean that you must move the entire ship that found this.  Or worse, it could be argued that the ship must use its own actions to deliver this to the other ship.

It should definitely specify whether or not negative values are possible, because on a ship with several high-value crew, or even just a series of bad rolls, this could be brutal.  If it cannot go negative, you should specify if the value zeros out with each crew individually or if you keep a running total until they’re all rolled.

For example, imagine if each of your five crew rolls were: (+2), (-4), (+3), (-5), and (+3) .   If negatives are zeroed out after each crew, the -5 and -4 would go away and you’d end up with 8 Gold.  If you kept a running total and only zeroed out a final negative, you’d end up at -1, which would become 0.  That’s a very big potential swing to be left ambiguous.

In any case, if the final total can go negative, you’ll need to address where the gold comes from if a player does have to make up the difference, and what happens (if anything) if they have no gold to pay in.

Mr. Wick
    Participant

What model ship is the Mars (Pirates of the Age of Sail)?

Xerecs

You’d have to ask Ben I think. He made the ship.

Ben
    Keymaster

@mr-wick
    : I moved your question since this is the proper thread for it.

I have not worked on the Mars custom at all, but I will probably make it a 4 masted square rigged ship (same type as HMS Dover) based on its size and armament.

Ben
    Keymaster

@Xerecs: Is your intention to allow Seafloor Traveler to work with S-boarding while submerged?  It would make sense per the Code, though boarding while submerged is not as explicitly ruled out in the Submarine and Sea Monster keywords compared to Seafloor Traveler.

-This ability may be used by or against a ship that is submerged.

Xerecs

“Seafloor Traveler”

…..she cannot ram, be rammed, pin or be pinned, board, be boarded……

-emphasis added-

I think that part of the keyword would prevent any boarding while submerged, even the S board ability.

Also, just updated the keyword slightly to more clearly state that the ship can only be given a move action while submerged.

Woelf

I think that part of the keyword would prevent any boarding while submerged, even the S board ability.

Correct, “cannot board or be boarded” will block the use of the S-boarding ability in both directions.

Viewing 16 posts - 1,111 through 1,126 (of 1,126 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.