Introduce Yourself! Join the Crew!

Pirates with Ben – About Pirates CSG Pirates CSG Forums Pirates CSG Introduce Yourself! Join the Crew!

Viewing 20 posts - 211 through 230 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    Keymaster

Algolmantis here and I’m glad to be back in the scene but my username is just my gamertag. I used to play Pirates way back when it first came out and to my delight it made a pretty decent splash at our FLGS.

Welcome aboard matey, glad to have you here!

Rara avis
    Participant

Ahoy!

Rara avis here. I have used that nickname for several years now and it’s sort of my default. It’s origin: I like birds, and in my school years I was always the weird one. I also happen to like Latin, so…

I’m from Spain, so please excuse me if my English is a bit… rough, I’m a bit rusted.

I got into Pirates when I was pretty young: I was in a toy store and saw a small box with sets of the Spanish Main, it even had a small micro-diorama with a few ships. I really like ships and Age of Sail related stuff, so I took two sets to try the game, and liked it. Unfortunately, sets of the Spanish Main disappeared right after that, and it wasn’t until some time passed that Pirates came back, this time with Davy Jone’s Curse. Again, only managed to get two sets. After that, it was Ocean’s Edge all the way until the game disappeared entirely. Wich was really unfortunate, since A) I wanted more and B) I actually didn’t like the weird ships of OE that much (but it was that or nothing). I played with a friend I had in school, but we parted ways when I entered high school, stored the ships away, and slowly forgot about the game. A few years later, I found a hobby shop that was about to close, and had a mix of remaining sets; I managed to pick a pair of Barbary Coast, Revolution and Rise of the Fiends (I wanted to pick up more, but couldn’t). After that I discovered the amount of stuff I didn’t even had a chance to see. Years passed and the ships were again stored away.

A few days ago, I found them again, played a bit, remembered why I liked this game, and here I am.

I would say I’m 70% player, 10% wanna-be-but-can’t-be collector (my financial situation isn’t the best and I’ve seen the prices), and 20% storyteller (sometimes I like to spice my games with backgrounds, special objectives for each faction etc, to the point of bend the rules for specific scenarios or even specific situations; the fact that I play 100% solo gave me the idea, it creates a sort of virtual opponent).

I think I love this game because it’s theme, it’s very adaptable (can add or remove rules to make it more simple or complex), gives a high degree of freedom (I can add or change rules and the game keeps working) and can be really fun to play.

Captain Magpie at your service.

Captain Magpie at your service.

(Saw this little guy while I was selecting a ship for the picture and… well, I like birds).

Ben
    Keymaster

Welcome aboard matey!

I think I love this game because it’s theme, it’s very adaptable (can add or remove rules to make it more simple or complex), gives a high degree of freedom (I can add or change rules and the game keeps working) and can be really fun to play.

Love this!  I agree completely. It can be a very “modular” game.

(sometimes I like to spice my games with backgrounds, special objectives for each faction etc, to the point of bend the rules for specific scenarios or even specific situations; the fact that I play 100% solo gave me the idea, it creates a sort of virtual opponent).

I’ve done that a bit too, especially in my Experimental cumulative game.

Rara avis
    Participant

I’ve done that a bit too, especially in my Experimental cumulative game.

I’ve just read it; wow O_O. I’ve played with the idea of allowing ships to be purchased with gold, but I don’t think I’ve allowed factions to suddenly show up; I will have to try that…

Ben
    Keymaster

I don’t think I’ve allowed factions to suddenly show up; I will have to try that…

It’s definitely not great for parity or rules, more for the narrative element.  Nowadays I generally prefer to play campaign games 100% “by the book” (rules and custom rules), without random personal elements thrown in.  It’s fun to try a few times though!

Jared Nicholes
    Participant

hi everyone,

New member here. I’m just getting back into the game, haven’t played it in a long time. I’m 27 now, and I’ve am having a lot of fun with this game.

I collect oceans edge and revolution packs. They’re the ones I have the most fond memories of. I also have the 10 mast delusion.

I actually forgot to introduce myself before posting on another thread, so this is my introduction.

i’m hoping to have a lot more fun playing this game again.

regards,

Jared

Ben
    Keymaster

I collect oceans edge and revolution packs. They’re the ones I have the most fond memories of.

That should work out well, as RV and OE are often the cheapest sets (and/or most widely available at this point).

Welcome aboard, and I hope your upcoming game(s) are fun!

Robert Black
    Participant

Hi there. I just got back into this game after (somewhat foolishly) donating my old collection back in 2017 (but I’m making plans to get it back). Pirates was my childhood and I still love it to this day, and I’m glad I finally found a group that is still interested in it as well

Ben
    Keymaster

Hi there. I just got back into this game after (somewhat foolishly) donating my old collection back in 2017 (but I’m making plans to get it back). Pirates was my childhood and I still love it to this day, and I’m glad I finally found a group that is still interested in it as well

Welcome aboard, glad to have you here!  😀

Anthony
    Participant

Hey gang,

I’m happy to join fellow fans of a great game. My username is pretty straight-forward; no special meaning behind it other than a play on words.

Me and my gaming buddies got into Pirates right as Revolution was hitting shelves. We played a lot from that point through DJC before everyone started college, got into careers, got into committed relationships, etc. I am definitely more player than collector; call it 90/10. Most of my collection comes from Revolution and DJC with some BC and SCS sprinkled in.

What I and my gaming group enjoyed most at the time was ease of set-up, rule adaptability, and strategy involved in the game. Truly a game system ahead of it’s time. What I enjoy about it now is sharing that experience with my young daughter. I also enjoy history in general and appreciate that aspect about various character, ships, and locations where the game takes place. I prefer a more understated supernatural element to the game; the cursed faction was definitely a dividing line for my gaming group’s preferences.

The first few packs I purchased yielded the Enterprise and Commodore David Porter. Combined with a helmsman, this combo won me many games and the ire of my friends heh heh. My daughter recently used Enterprise (all of her own choosing) and won our first game together. It was fun seeing the glee in her eyes as my pirate fleet failed to stop her onslaught. Good times.

I’m not a member of any other sites, but I will say I greatly appreciate the effort and upkeep poured into this site. Happy to be aboard.

Ben
    Keymaster

I’m not a member of any other sites, but I will say I greatly appreciate the effort and upkeep poured into this site. Happy to be aboard.

Welcome aboard matey, glad to have you here!

Tonytonetone92
    Participant

Ahoy brethren!

My name be Anthony Moreno, username Tonytonetone92. Yee may call me Tony for short! I’ve gone by many names, French T, Tony Two Tone, Treeman just to name a few.

I started playing pirates around late 2004 with my brother and friends upon seeing tournaments played at our local comic book shop/Internet cafe where we frequented to play Counter Strike and later BF2. We all chose our respective nationality (mine were Spanish, Jade Rebellion and Viking) and made an honor system that if any of us opened a booster pack and received a faction that was claimed by another, you would relinquish that boat/crew to said holder and vice versa. We played many tournaments, won plenty of booty and made friends along the way. It was a fun ride until the eventual sinking of our beloved Wizkids and shortly after, the cessation of tournaments held at the comic shop due to lack of players. While devastating at the time, My brother and I continued playing the game and now hold it near and dear as one of the only games we would want to be stranded on an unexplored island with. Now almost 20 years later we still have games every now and again. Unfortunately Most people we knew before, no longer play or are not in range to play. BUT, the bright side is that we carry our flags high and have found community around that holds the same flag high and with the recent addition of American, French and Pirate to my collection, I seek to humble and be humbled in my quest to complete my collection and amass my fleets to play for years to come.

I am 100% Player and 100% Collector seeking to bolster my collections at any cost and add ranks to my armada!

my favorite thing about Pirates CSG as a whole is building boats and playing with other devoted people with the same interests. Some games are straightforward and others like grand jury trials which make for fun conversation.

I’m unaware of other sites though should I find others I will more than likely use Tonytonetone92. I am ecstatic to sail the seas with veteran enthusiasts of this most cherished game!

Ben
    Keymaster

Welcome aboard!

Some games are straightforward and others like grand jury trials which make for fun conversation.

That is a good way to put it hah!

I am ecstatic to sail the seas with veteran enthusiasts of this most cherished game!

Same for us matey!

cawley333
    Participant

Hey there y’all. My username is simply the one I’ve used for most online activity since the 00s.

Jeez, I remember opening packs from Spanish Main, Crimson Coast, Revolution, Mysterious Island, and At Ocean’s Edge. My collection was never big though, meager compared to what I’ve been seeing here. Probably haven’t opened a new pack since 2007, probably haven’t touched a physical piece since ~2010. But, I always enjoyed playing – I especially remember playing with my dad. Lots of great memories, cue the nostalgia.

100% player I suppose, but I only just rediscovered this hobby as of about a week ago so all that’s been on VASSAL at a grand total of 3 solitaire games so far. Very much a newbie again!

Has to be the aesthetic. A gorgeous game that set my imagination on fire in ways that others couldn’t at the time. The board-less aspect was also pretty neat.

No other aliases. First time I’ve joined a Pirates CSG related forum. In the last week or so I’ve put together a randomizer excel and made some custom VASSAL assets to enjoy the nostalgia and thought other folks might find a use for those tools too.

Ben
    Keymaster

100% player I suppose, but I only just rediscovered this hobby as of about a week ago so all that’s been on VASSAL at a grand total of 3 solitaire games so far. Very much a newbie again!

Welcome aboard!  Glad you’re already playing again!

In the last week or so I’ve put together a randomizer excel and made some custom VASSAL assets to enjoy the nostalgia and thought other folks might find a use for those tools too.

That sounds amazing, thank you for doing that!

Zephyr
    Participant

Hello! I’m Zephyr, it’s my name but also a boat, a car, a Greek god, and the west wind lol

My dad actually was much more into than I ever was(I was a baby when it was coming out) but I’ve found all his old stuff and I wanted to possibly share it with others :]

I guess I’d be more of a collector, but it’s more like I found all of the stuff and don’t know what to do with it now haha

My favorite part of the game would probably be the Zephyr ship (⁠。⁠•̀⁠ᴗ⁠-⁠)⁠✧

You all can call me Zephyr, Zephyrr306 or even just Zeph, I don’t mind :]

Ben
    Keymaster

Welcome aboard matey!

I guess I’d be more of a collector, but it’s more like I found all of the stuff and don’t know what to do with it now haha

Sounds like it’s time to play!  😀

Zephyr
    Participant

Hehe true! I heard my uncle and his kids still play to the game too!

I’m not really good at strategy games though(⁠´⁠-⁠﹏⁠-⁠`⁠;⁠) I’m creative not logical (>⁠▽<)

Maybe it can be a good exercise for my brain tho!

Captain Plunder
    Participant

Hi All,

I am not new to this forum but have been out of pocket for a while. I’m back now and it seems that a lot of work has been done to keep this game alive and sailing the high seas! I recently found some STL files for printing all the ships, sea monsters, forts, etc…now if we can just get someone to handle decals? If I had the expertise I would do it! Anyhow it is great to be back and I look forward to seeing the continued progress of this game for current generations to experience.

=/\=

Ben
    Keymaster

now if we can just get someone to handle decals? If I had the expertise I would do it! Anyhow it is great to be back and I look forward to seeing the continued progress of this game for current generations to experience.

Ahoy, I am doing decals every week. Various products at the Store with more to come.  🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 211 through 230 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.