Nastiest 1 master in the game? Hessian is underrated.

Pirates with Ben – About Pirates CSG Pirates CSG Forums Pirates CSG Nastiest 1 master in the game? Hessian is underrated.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ben 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ben
    Keymaster

This is a thread idea I had a while back.  The Hessian is a very good 1 masted ship, but doesn’t get much attention.  There are better 1 masted gold runners but not many better 1 masted gunships or even hybrids.

Hessian
    Collector’s Number: 096
    Faction Affiliation: America
    Rarity: R
    Type: Ship
    Point Value: 9
    Cargo Space: 4
    Base Move: L
    Cannons: 2S
    Number of Masts: 1
    Ability: Once per turn, one crew or ship within S of this ship cannot use its ability that turn.

Flavor text: The tiny Hessian is nearly a renegade. In fact, she appears on no official naval records, raising questions about just who authorizes her vicious attacks.

The combination of cancelling and 4 cargo makes her pretty good from the start.  With a good gun she can even get a captain.  I sometimes like running her as a defensive gold runner (just a helmsman), but the cancelling can be circumvented by ramming.

It gets more fun when you consider all the different crew combos.  Captain and helmsman leaves her with 2 cargo spaces for a hybrid role.  You could add a shipwright and oarsman for maximum durability and make her very tough to capture.  Or, C+H with a musketeer and a 1 point equipment for some firepower.

The Americans managed to get both of the cheap Eternal crew in the game.  Combine them with C+H and an oarsman, and you can have the tiniest little “god ship” ever – Eternal, cancelling, oarsman and more.  With Ralph David you’d even have room for a shipwright as well!

I realize that her combos aren’t that practical in smaller games, but I do think the Hessian is one of the nastiest 1 masters in the game.

Ruben Santiago
    Participant

I really like the concept of Cancelers but I was unsure about a one masted ship. thanks for the insight.

Ben
    Keymaster

I really like the concept of Cancelers but I was unsure about a one masted ship. thanks for the insight.

Of course!  Cancellers are fantastic but of course on a 1 masted ship you have the usual ramming problem, where one easily successful ram can often ruin a 1 master’s chances of impacting a game.  In the unique case of the Hessian, that’s where a shipwright and Eternal could come in handy.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.