What do you miss most about the game being out of print?

Pirates with Ben – About Pirates CSG Pirates CSG Forums Pirates CSG What do you miss most about the game being out of print?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    Keymaster

For me it has to be going to just about any Target or Walmart and being able to find packs.  Then buying a few and adding to my collection after opening them.  Seeing the new ship types in the different sets, the different color schemes on the cards of different sets, and playing with a brand new faction from time to time.  Personally, after a massive amount of playing, collecting, and talking about the game (especially with fleets and the set review podcast episodes), the game never feels new at all.  It would be awesome to be able to experience the joy of the game’s “newness” again, whether opening a pack of a certain set for the first time, or playing with the Complete Game rules for the first time, etc.  I also remember counting up all the cannons visible on each ship’s artwork and borderline memorizing which ones had the biggest armament.  🙂

If I had known about Competitive/Organized Play back in 2005-2006, I have a feeling that would be my answer instead.  Since I wasn’t into the game for the entire production run and never knew about anyone else playing it or talking about it online, my answers to this question are pretty limited.

What do you miss most about the game being out of print?

Woelf

Consulting with the designers before new sets went to the printers. Even though they didn’t use all of my suggestions and ideas, it was really neat being directly involved in the design to help shape the way things came out. Quite a few problematic things got knocked down or fixed before they could become a problem.

I barely ever got into the official Competitive Play stuff. The events in this area were few and far between, and I rarely ever had time/availability when they did happen. The vast majority of my plays were with friends.

Matt Lovell
    Participant

I miss games at LGS. Was nice showing up and occasionally getting to play against someone not my wife and maybe getting a tourney card out of it. Really need to try and get a date set up at our current LGS to play. Maybe convince others to pick up the game.

I miss finding the packs at stores.  It was part of the fun for us to drive around seeing whether stores had restocked since our last raid or making a weekend trip to a new area and raiding the stores there for new treasure. Pulling them out of a drawer isn’t quite the same. I already have that treasure.

I still love breaking open new packs to play even knowing I have seen all the cards.  Doesn’t mean I’ve played with them yet and that combination is a new challenge. So I don’t look forward to an eventuality of running out of sealed stuff due to nothing new coming out.

Ben
    Keymaster

Consulting with the designers before new sets went to the printers. Even though they didn’t use all of my suggestions and ideas, it was really neat being directly involved in the design to help shape the way things came out. Quite a few problematic things got knocked down or fixed before they could become a problem.

That is awesome; what a cool experience to have for a game you really like.  If I manage to get one of the later game designers on the podcast I can bring it up as a topic.  😀

I think opening packs and getting new stuff in general will be a lot of the answers.  For all the flaws of a collectible game, it can be pretty exciting.

Jeremiah
    Participant

I definitely miss going to stores and looking at the Pirates options that I could buy. Weighing out what each set had and what I needed/wanted. Looking at each SE ship in the little cardboard windows and attempting to read their stats. Then of course bringing home the new packs/box and opening them. Followed with a game of pirates typically involving some of my new ships/crew.

I also enjoyed reading the paper insets of the packs and looking for the ones required for the mail in ships.

Not all of that is lost but buying them online and usually in larger quantities does change the feeling.

Dread Pirate
    Participant

I miss the epicness of five-masters when first starting.  I don’t know if it was just my friend group or what, but we could not pull five-masters from the first set.  So when people finally had pulled 1 to use, it was like “woah!”

I also miss playing with others who lived nearby.  We actually had every one choose an official faction(ex. pirate, viking- you could still use other ships, it was just who you were representing) and would gain ranks with the more wins we accumulated (ex. landlubber, deck swabber, first mate, captain, etc.)  That’s actually why I go by “Dread Pirate” on here.  It was the last rank I earned before we stopped playing.  Good times.

Ben
    Keymaster

I miss the epicness of five-masters when first starting.  I don’t know if it was just my friend group or what, but we could not pull five-masters from the first set.  So when people finally had pulled 1 to use, it was like “woah!”

I agree completely, and I was also a bit frustrated by Spanish Main early on in that regard.  Pulled La Magnifique from CC and it only made me love the game more.  There’s something really special about pulling a rare ship that is the largest in the game (for a while) and feeling powerful.

That’s actually why I go by “Dread Pirate” on here.  It was the last rank I earned before we stopped playing.  Good times.

Neat!  Makes me think about trying to have custom forum “identities” sometime… not the same as MT (Guru, etc), but maybe someday.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.