Pirates Lore

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    JuliusPepperwood
    Participant

I’ve always been a big fan of the flavor text included with each of the game pieces. From the snippets of lore on the deckplates to the story inserts in RotF, it really brings the ships and characters to life adding an additional element of attraction to the game. Yet despite having recurring characters with references to each other and some vessels getting reprints there doesn’t seem to be a written overarching story line, at least from what I can see. There are plenty of references though to a main plot, scattered all over the game but no source that really ties it all together. I’ve done some searching online and I can’t seem to find any real source of official Pirates lore either. If there are any of you “vorthos” players out there that have some insights to into the story I’d love to chat!

Maybe putting together the different pieces of flavor text and lining out the story would be a fun project, who knows?

Ben
    Keymaster

There are plenty of references though to a main plot, scattered all over the game but no source that really ties it all together.  I’ve done some searching online and I can’t seem to find any real source of official Pirates lore either.

Maybe putting together the different pieces of flavor text and lining out the story would be a fun project, who knows?

I assume you’ve seen the Master Spreadsheet?  Flavor text for all the game pieces is to the right of the ability text column.  There is some extra stuff in the Adventure Book.

Godmason started this wiki that looks almost exactly like what you describe.

Jack
    Participant

I was actually just thinking about doing a post following the careers of the main “cast” of myself, Calico Cat, Blackheart, and Fantasma. The wiki probably lays it all out but I love Cat’s story so I’ll just leave it here as condensed as possible:

Cat’s real name is Catherine Gunn. You can put this together from the flavor texts of Thomas Gunn the Elder, SM Calico Cat, and the Zephyr. She was taken prisoner by the Spanish after the ship taking her to the new world was attacked, and presumably brought to Havana. There, she managed to impress some of the prisoners she encountered and broke out, managing to wrangle a crew of rough and tumble men from Havana’s slums and stealing the Zephyr.

From there she rose to prominence by capturing the Shadow, though it’s unknown how she pulled it off. She doesn’t have an appearance again until SCS, though the flavor text of CC’s Duke indicates she’s still active in the second set. Around the time of the Revolution set, someone in her own crew backstabs her. She flees to China and outfits the original Lady’s Scorn, bent on revenge. During her absence in the Atlantic, Bonny Peel assumes command of her old crew.

Cat vanishes again around the Mysterious Islands, and loses her fleet under unknown reasons. She resurfaces in Ocean’s Edge, commandeering an English brigantine which she uses to slowly claw her way back. By Rise of the Fiends, she’s the most powerful female pirate in the world, and her brother Thomas is a Lord, one of England’s best commanders.

JuliusPepperwood
    Participant

this wiki that looks almost exactly like what you describe.

Aha! That’s exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. It looks like it still needs some work but it’s got some good stuff! I’ve always wanted to know what happened to Davy Jones and the whole Papa Doc/Godiva story. Maybe we’ll find something there.

I was actually just thinking about doing a post following the careers of the main “cast” of myself, Calico Cat, Blackheart, and Fantasma. The wiki probably lays it all out but I love Cat’s story.

I’d be super interested in reading that if you ever did it. Or add it to the wiki, I noticed there’s nothing on Calico Cat in there so that’d be a good addition! Might be good to mention her association with the Crimson Angel too.

Xerecs

Something that’s been on the back burner in my mind is a vid detailing the “story” of pirates, from Spanish main through to Return to Savage Shores, and adding in the flavor and fluff from my own custom sets at the end as the continuation.

I’m uncertain how to frame and format a vid like that, which is why it’s still on the back burner. 😀

Jack
    Participant

Here’s the story of me:

I was holed up in Port Royal, sent there as an indentured servant. When Angus Skyme sacked the port, I was able to escape and I joined forces with him on board the flagship of his fleet, the Harbinger. It was during my time with him that we both encountered the beautiful Lady Arcadia del Sol, who escaped El Castillo Del Infanta to explore the world. Me and Angus had a great thing going, but our shared attraction for del Sol drove a wedge between us. She gave me a monkey, which I named Skyme after my friend, but the gift only made him more jealous. Our partnership ended in a duel, in which I beat him and won Arcadia Del Sol’s heart, but Skyme, who now styled himself as Blackheart, made off with the Harbinger.

I got back into the trade by commandeering the Snipe, which I used to take El Ballista without firing a shot. But my men didn’t like the name Sea Nymph, which I had in mind for her. So they kept the ship, and I was once again left on my own with the Snipe. I used it to capture a new ship, and this time the name Sea Nymph stuck. That’s all just Spanish Main!

I stayed active through the Crimson Coast days, where I built up quite a fortune and honed my skills further. In search of riches and a safe haven from pirate hunters I sailed across the Atlantic to try my hand at corsairing. But I grew tired of the life. I thirsted not for riches, but revenge. And so, I stole the Harbinger back from Blackheart, though he would up with the monkey.

In my humble opinion, I am the most successful pirate of all time. Only Calico Cat can rival me. Before slipping off into retirement, I found the old Jade Rebellion leader Shap-‘ng Tsai and we embarked on one more tour of revenge against our old foes, though I never was quite able to hunt down Blackheart and end our rivalry for good

Xerecs

Jack, have you met your son Roger?

Roger Hawkins

Pirate

Ability: Loyal: Pirate. Hostile: Cursed, England. Captain. Helmsman.

Flavor: The son of infamous pirate Jack Hawkins, Roger has a burning hatred for all things Cursed, as it was they who finally ended his father’s career. Permanently.

Ben
    Keymaster

Before slipping off into retirement

@CaptainHawkins
    : Not so fast there laddie, you’ve been hired!  What do you think your next mission on your ship, the Warring Tribes, will be?

Jack
    Participant

You’re both wrong! I gave Fantasma the slip by letting him think me dead while my boy Roger took over the pirating stuff. I live with Lady Arcadia in the sleepy town of Newport and sleep on stacks of gold.

JuliusPepperwood
    Participant

Haha love it!

A couple of quick lore questions that I haven’t been able to find answers to;

• It’s alluded to that Davy Jones disappeared and El Fantasma resumed command of the cursed. Do we know what happened to Davy Jones at all? @Xerecs I think I saw your custom set Return of Davy Jones, would you have any insight?
    • Whatever happened to Josephine Godiva with Papa Doc form DJC?
    • Why were Vikings never reprinted? Were they wiped out like the Corsairs and the Jade Rebellion?

Maybe these aren’t even answered at all since wizards shut down but if y’all have any insights I’d love to hear it!

Jack
    Participant

Godiva escaped when the Duc de Valois failed to deliver her to Papa Doc. In the unreleased Return to Savage Shores set, Papa Doc is still hunting her down.

JuliusPepperwood
    Participant

Gotcha, and he needed her to gain some kind of voodoo power from the Loa. What/who exactly are the Loa? Do they have any connection with Davy Jones or El Fantasma?

Ben
    Keymaster

What/who exactly are the Loa? Do they have any connection with Davy Jones or El Fantasma?

There is almost nothing about the Loa in Wizkids flavor text.  Papa Doc’s original flavor text always seemed incredibly sinister and mysterious to me, which is why the Loa became one of my biggest fascinations within the flavor text of the game.  I don’t see any connection with Davy Jones or El Fantasma.

Lately I have been inspired to finally bring the Loa into the game.  O_O  After a long period of me giving occasional hints as to Loa customs and how they might appear, going back to MT I’m pretty sure.  Which should scare anyone who plays against me.  Back in May, it was announced that The Cursed not only harnessed the power of the Loa, but brought them to their side…  some of them are already in my Epic Seas set, and more are to come….

Xerecs

It’s alluded to that Davy Jones disappeared and El Fantasma resumed command of the cursed. Do we know what happened to Davy Jones at all? @Xerecs I think I saw your custom set Return of Davy Jones, would you have any insight?

In reality WK gave pirates a soft re-boot after Ocean’s Edge and the Disney pirates release. Some of the major characters of the game dissappeared, like Jack Hawkins along with Davy Jones. This was likely done to avoid an conflict with Disney and any other similarities between the Pirates of the Caribbean characters.

Lore wise, I’ve adopted a scenario put forth in a fleet challenge from waaay back during the days of Miniature Trading. Basic premise was that you had to ‘overthrow’ Davy Jones; he had a cursed fleet at his command and you had to build your own cursed fleet with El Fantasma in it somewhere to beat him. It was a straight up fight to the death, I think Woelf’s fleet won the challenge.

My lore for RoDJ takes that as the ‘cannon’ and goes from there. Jones was overthrown and put out of power of the Cursed, but now he is back. I based a lot of my continued lore on fleet challenges or miniature reviews that I liked on MT.

Randy

I think the Loa are outside of anything that DJ or Fantasma would deal with. The spirits of loa (at least in Lousiana and Hatian lore) demand servitude, which would not seem to interest DJ or Fantasma. They deal in cursed creatures and men, where as the Loa are considred voodoo spirits. The ingesting thing about Papa Doc is that he intends to harness purity to combat them. The very magic that he intends to use, would seem to be powered by the very spirits he wants to overthrow. He is the true pirate of the voodoo world. Also, it would stand to reason that he is at least spiritually based on a Haitian president from the 50-70’s nicknamed “Papa Doc.” His public impression:

“the look of him makes every tale seem possible – including hopeful talk that he really is one of the walking dead. His eyes are icy and hooded. His walk is measured by a robot rhythm, his voice a rheumy whisper. He keeps his hands hidden, he dresses in zombie black. His features are chilled into a graveyard mask that makes him seem the very spirit of evil.”

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Randy.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Randy.
    Ben
    Keymaster

It was a straight up fight to the death, I think Woelf’s fleet won the challenge.

Woelf and I were co-winners; I hosted the challenge afterwards because Woelf had hosted the RtSS challenge before lord_denton’s challenge.  I think “canon” is the word you’re looking for.

I based a lot of my continued lore on fleet challenges or miniature reviews that I liked on MT.

Neat, I don’t remember knowing that before.

Also, it would stand to reason that he is at least spiritually based on a Haitian president from the 50-70’s nicknamed “Papa Doc.”

I’m surprised I hadn’t looked this up until now.  You may not want to give me more custom ideas….  XD

Randy

The custom juices are flowing!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.