Master Artwork Templates

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    Keymaster

This thread is for sharing Master Artwork Templates. They are used to create new ship artwork and can be used for new ship type creation as well.

I will likely just edit this first post with new ones rather than having the share links in separate posts.  If you spot errors (such as an incorrect object name of “main topsail” when it should be main royal/etc), feel free to post them here.

Master Artwork Templates

5 Mast Square Rigged, later mast design (5ML)

6 Mast Junk (6MJ)

Overview Video:

Overview:

The idea is that this file can be used to create new ships, in a format that is compatible with multiple production methods – there is a sublayer for the decal outlines that I use (in white), while also preserving original cut lines that would be used in laser cutting and possibly other production methods as well (such as die/press cut).

It was created in Inkscape (free vector graphics software) from a wide variety of files, mostly based on Adobe Illustrator card files from Gigi. I have gotten his enthusiastic permission to share work resulting from his files, and the artwork assets he has made for the deck artwork/etc. Long term I hope to establish and share a database file for artwork assets to be used on custom ships – for deck/sail/hull artwork. For the templates, I aim for simplicity and a basic design that can then be edited and layered over for more unique and interesting ship designs. This one is a “share copy” with any relevant images embedded – Inkscape works better when images are just linked from a location on your local hard drive, but the file wouldn’t work properly the first time if you don’t already have all those same images on your computer. Unfortunately this brings the file size from 2.9MB to 6.3MB, so hopefully I’ll figure out a solution at some point so a shareable file with linked images makes more sense. (possibly by sharing an “all in one” image/artwork assets folder)

The template took me somewhere between 11-16 hours to make, though any others should be less time consuming now that I have the first one done (since I know the process, and some ships come on less than 3 cards). I plan to make a trio of videos about the templates in the coming months – first an overview of what a master artwork template is, what it’s for, how it’s organized, etc. Second, a tutorial on how to make custom ship artwork in Inkscape using one of the templates. Third, a full walkthrough of how I make one of the templates from start to finish.

I’m open to the possibility of getting help finishing templates for the different ship types, but I do think any “master templates” created should be held to a high standard – it’s much easier to make a custom ship when every layer/group/object is appropriately labeled, in the correct spot, and in a logical order from top to bottom in the file. They are extremely time consuming and detail oriented. It looks like there are 47 different ship types in total counting all variations, so don’t expect fast progress on these getting done.

For now, feel free to provide feedback on the template, especially if you’ve used Inkscape before. Custom ship artwork can be created in a variety of programs – I started with Adobe Illustrator but have switched to Inkscape because the latter is free. I didn’t want to make a template in Illustrator and have the files essentially under a paywall where you can only use them if you have an Adobe subscription; plus I wanted to save my own money and just go with the free option so custom ship creation can be more palatable as a hobby for years to come. I hope to make custom ship creation more accessible to everyone, since I see it as one of the major barriers to making custom sets come to life.

Ben
    Keymaster

Here is the latest master artwork template – for full art custom crew.

To get the card background on the front to look right, line your card background up with the card dimensions, have it just underneath the Clipping Path in the layers panel, then go to Object>Clip>Set Clip to crop it to the pattern.

I don’t have all the crew chips with artwork bleed done yet, but they will be available in an Artwork Assets folder eventually

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.