Strategy/Gameplay discussion thread

Pirates with Ben – About Pirates CSG Pirates CSG Forums Pirates CSG Strategy/Gameplay discussion thread

Tagged: ,

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    Keymaster

This is another thread idea from MT.  Use it to talk strategy and gameplay with your fellow Pirates players!

For me personally, I’m definitely going to focus on campaign game play for a while.  After playing a TON from 2011-2017, 2018 and beyond will finally see some much lower games/year numbers for me.  I’d like to concentrate on The Hourly Campaign when I’m not involved in CG4 and The Caribbean Game.

Ben
    Keymaster

My Turtle Mania game featured a bizarre and extremely niche new gameplay idea.

And that is where a new (?) concept or game idea was born: chain capturing.  At the upper right, the Floating Stone of Tsai’s fleet was able to capture the remaining two ships of the other Jade fleet by herself (Hansan Island had been recently sunk).  Back and forth they went, with each fleet controlling 1 or 2 ships each turn of the three pictured.  Eventually Tsai’s fleet was able to chain together enough successful moves, and the captured Dragon’s Talon was within capturing distance (S+S rowing distance in this case) of Tsai’s own ship, the Proud Tortoise.  The PT was reclaimed for his own Jade fleet (this is hard to even put into words because of how confusing it is lol), completing the chain of captures that led to the elimination of the other Jade fleet!  XD  This is one of those bizarre occurrences that would only happen in a very similar situation, with lots of oared ships that are “capturable” (aka no oarsmen) and moving amongst each other and jockeying for towing position on just about every turn.

chain capturing idea

Ben
    Keymaster
    Xerecs

Since CG1 it’s become somewhat of a norm in my campaigns (and the ones that I play with you) for the Spanish to use as many of or all of their ships with the +1/+2 gold bonus ability. I’m not sure if you’re the first person to figure this out for a campaign or not, but it does represent a sound strategy that few factions can match, since the Spanish have the most of those kind of ships and crew.

Ben
    Keymaster

I’m not sure if you’re the first person to figure this out for a campaign or not, but it does represent a sound strategy that few factions can match, since the Spanish have the most of those kind of ships and crew.

I think that’s where the “publicity” aspect of “modern” campaign games comes into play.  It’s quite probable that someone played a campaign style game with the Spanish using a lot of gold bonuses, but they either didn’t write about it, or they did but the reports have been lost to the impermanence of internet forums/sites/etc.

It’s possible (or even very likely) that many more hours were spent in the 2000’s playing campaign-style games than in the 2010’s due to the sheer volume of players and games happening compared to today.  It’s just that today, you and I record and publish nearly every turn of a campaign game that sees action.  XD

Jack
    Participant

How the heck are you supposed to make use of the Fear keyword? Since it happens at the start of your turn, the canceller ability isn’t as useful. You can’t protect yourself by cancelling a captain on a ship that’s going to attack you for instance. And the S-move result isn’t that good either, because again it happens at the start of your turn. You have to be within S of a ship already to do it so you’ve already caught it. If it happened at the start of every turn then it might be playable.

Ben
    Keymaster

How the heck are you supposed to make use of the Fear keyword?

Moved your post here since it’s appropriate.

It’s not a good ability, but it can be better while submerged.  In that case it could be combined with other abilities that work while submerged, such as cancelling or Marines.  Other than that, make sure to always remember to roll for it when you have multiple enemies in range.  If you can roll for it 3+ times in a turn, there’s a solid chance it will actually affect something.  Though that happens more in crowded battlefields and campaigns than most 1v1 action.

I would suggest a reroller, but EA/SAT/etc are better abilities to pair a reroller with anyway lol.  Those are the best ways I can think of – try to scare a bunch of enemies at the same time in a crowded space, and/or submerge it so it can possibly survive longer to have more of an effect.  The latter is one of the reasons (along with cost) that Squalo is the one shark I do try to use on occasion.

Jack
    Participant

Didn’t even know this thread existed lol. Well I’m still tracking down the Terror. Otherwise I don’t have any way in my collection to combine fear and something submerged. I’ve thought about putting the Unblinking 99 on board the Fallen Angel, since she’s very fast and can’t be shot at by most ships, but then I remembered ramming is a thing. Fallen Angel + 99  + low cost Cursed crew saved by Devil’s Maw would be super gimmicky but in theory gets you a way to quickly move a fear crew into the middle of a fight on a ship that would be very hard to hit I suppose.

Jack
    Participant

There’s a couple of threads I suppose this could go in but I’d love this one to be more active so I’m putting it here now.

One of my favorite fleets is a hybrid French fleet using ships from PotR. I’d long used La Belle Etoile as the flagship. But recently I got Le Soleil Royale, and I’m wondering which ship people would think is better. Both are 13 points with 5 cargo. (Side note, can someone summon volt here because he’s also a Francophile who loved the French faction if I remember right.)

LBE: S+L move, 3S-3L-3S guns, cargo killer, schooner.

LSR: L-move, 2S-3L-3L-3L-2S guns, once per turn crew kill.

La Belle Etoile has a speed/agility advantage and even a more devastating potential. Le Soleil Royale is sturdier with better guns.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Jack.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Jack.
    Ben
    Keymaster

I’d love this one to be more active

Same here!

… though it’s hard to provide feedback when the information given out is incorrect.  Check the cannons.  I like both ships a lot but I like the Soleil Royal better.

Jack
    Participant

Should be fixed now.

In a test game against a similar pirate fleet led by Don Gilbert and the Panda, LSR’s extra durability came in big because Panda was able to swoop in and get two shoot actions off. But then again, LBE is faster than Panda so it might have avoided being hit in the first place so :shrug:

Jack
    Participant

What pieces would you put on L’Hercule (22 pts, 3 cargo) to deck her out the best? Overall fleet build total isn’t important here. I’ve been thinking maybe

Guy LaPlante (F&S) 7 pts, Captain, S-Board

Capitane Arazure (F&S) 5 pts, choose two of destroy mast, eliminate crew, steal a treasure

Amiral Dupuy (CC) 5 pts, EA

Mademoiselle Josephine Godiva (DJC) 0LR reroller

Oarsman

Or perhaps

Jordan Dumas (OE) 5 pts, Reroller, crew of any nation can serve on this ship

Hermione Gold (ROTF) 5 pts, Captain, Helmsman

Calico Cat (OE) 6 pts, EA, +1 cannons vs non pirates

Gentleman Jocard (PotC) 3 pts, +1 cargo

Shipwright

Oarsman

Xerecs

My thoughts on the Hercule:

Amiral Louis Cartier (+1 to boards, Extra Action, 7 pts.), Guy La Plante (FS), Mdm Josephine Godiva, helmsman, oarsman.

Ben
    Keymaster

What pieces would you put on L’Hercule (22 pts, 3 cargo) to deck her out the best? Overall fleet build total isn’t important here.

I personally would actually want to prioritize the cannons over boarding, mostly because they can keep firing as the ship takes hits.  There I’d want Barbinais (4 point World Hater) aboard.

Are you opposed to using RtSS pieces?  If not, I’d probably go with:

Lady Roimata (6 points for Captain+SAT)
    Barbinais (World Hater)
    Godiva (0LR Reroller primarily for SAT)
    Helmsman
    Oarsman

Only uses 13 points of the 22 point cap, but here we can have 8 shots at 2S/1L regardless of any masts missing.

Keep in mind that Jocard’s “doesn’t take up cargo space” ability text is subject to the No-Stacking rule, so the oarsman would have to go to make that setup work.

Jack
    Participant

I’d rather use pieces I could get physical copies of, though I do like that setup. Without Romiata, France doesn’t have the 3 point SAT options England/Spain/Pirates have :/Arathiel could serve a similar purpose but he’d have a limited amount of crew to work with.

Ben
    Keymaster

Why cheerleaders aren’t useless.  If it works out right, it’s like adding extra gunpowder or cannonballs to all the shots of an entire line of gunships!  😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.