Reply To: Rules for Thought #20 – Is Repairing Too Slow?

Pirates with Ben – About Pirates CSG Pirates CSG Forums Pirates CSG Rules for Thought #20 – Is Repairing Too Slow? Reply To: Rules for Thought #20 – Is Repairing Too Slow?

Mechavelli
Participant

I don’t think the fix at sea makes much sense either. I would rather the shipwright give his ship more utility without sacrificing flexibility. Right now, you can only repair at the cost of an entire turn, which if you need the repair in the first place, might be pretty risky because of the enemy that’s circling.

I would rather the shipwright repair a single mast as a free action upon exploring an island. This way, ships can run away from the dangerous situation they’re in and repair. They’d have to dock, which makes more sense than just being able to repair anywhere since shipwrights would presumably need wood to make a replacement mast. This run and repair ability would be kept balanced by the fact that it’s not always guaranteed since it’s dependent on the existence of an island nearby. Docking would make it easy for a clever enemy to trap the wounded ship on the beach, and lastly, if the ship wants to fix more masts, it has to consume an entire turn with an explore ability, or dash for another island. I find it intriguing that island hopping would be a viable strategy here, with fast gunships repairing once every turn as they run from an enemy, and then swing back around to destroy their pursuers.

Not sure if this would be 100% balanced, but I’m willing to try to convince my friends to try it so we can test it out. The shipwright doesn’t really seem like a good crew at the moment, so any fixes or buffs he’d get would be greatly appreciated.